Although later than my principal period, I hang onto a few 1980s-ish bits and bobs that I did ‘back in the day’ of Culreoch and Wintringham Haven, particularly as Ken (Gibbons) still retains more than a foothold in that scene. One such is this Bachmann OBA, repainted into shabby Freight Maroon from the EWS model that was one of the initial introductions.
Dealing with the mechanical bits first, these wagons will convert to EM if you want them to – as long as you use ‘proper’ scale wheels and not just pulled-out Bachmann ones, which have wider treads and will take up too much width in the axleguard units. This underside shot shows this, and also the block of plastic that I glued at the back edge of the axleguard unit to prevent it swivelling too much. Moving onto cosmetics, the factory rendition of the roller bearing axleboxes is a bit unconvincing on these models, so I replaced these with Chivers mouldings – the image is clickable and there’s a telltale change in the paint finish that shows how far back the mouldings have to be filed:
As ever, the livery details were my main interest and the vehicle represents an Ashford product from the first Lot built, 3909, and having been retro-fitted with Bruninghaus springs for Speedlink work. Although the wagon’s been around a while, I took the brief opportunity on sunshine the other weekend to take these next few updated pics.
As well as the usual toning down and odd scuffs, there are odd replacement planks picked out in either black or a different shade of red. This is something which affects all wooden bodied opens, but BR’s air braked fleet seemed to have even greater propensity to it than earlier traditional stock; some of the piebald concoctions to be seen by the time of the EWS takeover were quite fantastic:
Another characteristic effect I wanted to replicate was the maroon overspray onto the inner ends, something I’d picked up on from a period photo. I’m sure an airbrush would produce this perfectly but all I did was stipple small amounts of paint with a cotton bud:
As an aside, this livery is one of those that courts misunderstanding and mythology. Quite apart from the exact shade and the related arguments over what ‘maroon’ actually is, it was a livery used from late 1975 and gave way to the flame red and grey mix from 1979. Once weathered though, it can be indistinguishable from the earlier brown/bauxite shades, and many people think that’s what it is. I remember on a visit to Carlisle Currock some twenty years ago, someone scraping the side of a stored VDA with a coin to prove otherwise…
The final shot shows a later development, some ‘new’ modelling! If I recall correctly, the packing cases were done a couple of years back for Llangerran’s appearance at Thirsk show. They’re intended to be vaguely MOD-looking although owe more to the method used (block and sheet balsa) than to the photos on Paul Bartlett’s site that provided the impetus. They’re made up as four sets of two, back to back, and the sizes worked out well enough for two pairs to fit in a traditional 10ft wheelbase Highfit. Transfers are from various aeroplane kits, a hangover from my lad’s younger days and kept, as one does, because they ‘looked useful’.
Wagons do look better with loads though, it gives them a purpose. I have a shoebox full of equally likely-looking bits and bobs to work on, and I wish I had more time to devote to the subject.
As explained in a parallel post on my other blog, Hal o’ the Wynd, life has been a bit full lately and this awful ‘winter that won’t let go’ has delayed all sorts of projects, but as most of my recent dabblings are nowhere near finished, I thought I’d dig out something that was, before this blog became one of those with no activity from one year to the next! I am however currently conducting a journey around some of my ‘in progress’ minerals over on Modellers United, so if you’re not averse to single-subject threads and models that are not shiny RTR any more but look like someone’s had a barbecue on them, feel free to drop by and take a look.
On the subject of Llangerran, Ken’s layout now has four shows under its belt and a new page here for it is under construction – check back soon for pics and (if I can get the file formats sorted) video as well…